My Maternal Eleventh Great Grandmother, Ursula (Harrison) Harris, England

Warwickshire, Solihull high street and church, 1910s

Ursula Harrison (Harris), daughter of Thomas Harrison.

Born: 1620 in Solihull, Warwickshire, England.

Christened: 16 October 1620 in Solihull, Warwickshire, England.

Warwickshire, Warwick, old photo of bridge end cottages

NameUrsula Harrison
Event Type Christening
Event Date 16 Oct 1620
Event Place Solihull, Warwickshire, England
Gender Female
Father’s Name Thome Harrison
Citing this Record
“England, Warwickshire, Parish Registers, 1535-1984,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XFMC-HJD : 24 December 2014), Ursula Harrison, 16 Oct 1620, Christening; citing Solihull, Warwickshire, England, Record Office, Warwick; FHL microfilm 234,504.

 

Warwickshire, Solihull high street and church, 1910s

Married: about 1638 in England to Anthony Harris, Sr.

Children: Margaret Harris (Hammond), Ann Hammond, and Anthony Harris, Jr.

Died: 16 April 1669 in Shipbourne, Kent, England.

 

Name Harris
Gender Female
Burial Date 02 Apr 1669
Burial Place Shipborne, Kent, England
Marital Status Married
Spouse’s Name Anthony Harris
Citing this Record
“England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J8SM-QYK : 24 December 2014), Harris, 02 Apr 1669; citing , reference 8; FHL microfilm 1,866,581.

Shipbourne, Kent, England

Shipbourne, Kent, England

Shipbourne (pronounced Listeni/ˈʃɪbən/, SHIB-bun) is a village situated between the towns of Sevenoaks and Tonbridge, in the borough of Tonbridge and Malling in the English county of Kent.

It is located in an undulating landscape traversed by the small streams of the River Bourne, set in a clay vale at the foot of the wooded Sevenoaks Greensand Ridge. The landscape is agricultural with dispersed groups of buildings that are almost entirely residential or used for farming purposes.

The dominant characteristics of the historical landscape are thick woodland with smaller, broadleaf coppices with small to medium-sized fields enclosed by traditional boundaries of hedges or chestnut fencing. Earlier removal of some hedgerows has resulted in some larger arable fields; these are often separated by small woodland belts or shaws. The most distinctive landscape feature is The Common, also known as The Green, which is a large, open and dominant space in the centre of the village.

To the south of the village, on each side of the A227 is Hoad Common. Before the last war Hoad Common was an attractive lightly treed open space popular with visitors but is now neglected and is rapidly deteriorating into scrubby woodland.

The parish is situated in the Metropolitan Green Belt and is an area designated as a Special Landscape Area. The central village, including the pub, the church, the village school and The Common, is within a Conservation Area. Much of the village lies within the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

St. Giles Church continues to serve as a place of worship, but nowadays also doubles up, every Thursday morning, as the venue for the local farmers’ market.

 

Advertisements